Monday 20 February 2012

The missing blouse


Remember this? It all spurred from the image above. I had started by planning to have the blouse done (left hand side), then naturally needed a skirt to go with it. When that was done too, there was just about enough yarn left for a 1936-1937 style cardigan which took the ensemble to the new heights of a trio.


Mine is not quite so wide at the base and sleeves as in the pattern below right due to the fact that there was a limited amount of yarn left. It came out like something in between the two shown here, and it has raglan sleeves too, though it's hard to tell in that pic.


































When I first showed it on this blog last November I photographed the skirt and cardigan only (as above) and the left the blouse out as I hadn't put any buttons on it, and I was waiting for some vintage glass cuties to turn up in the post. Well, those turned up a bit of a disappointment, far too tiny and the wrong shade of green. I eventually abandoned the hunt for the shade of lime that I was fantasizing about in terms of an ideal contrast with the yarn, and settled for simple mother of pearl buttons, which, if less exciting, at least go with the detail in the long cardigan and do the job of keeping the short sleeve blouse closed.


 
As you can see mother had to slightly modify the design and while I still have the fitted waist band, my blouse fastens all the way down from neck to waist with functional buttons. We kept the sweet little pocket (I need a tiny pocket square to go in there), and the detail is repeated on the opposite side of the skirt.


It was mother's favourite yarn to work with so far, a mix of 75% wool and 25% silk that lent itself beautifully to the task at hand. 
As for me, I am loving the end product, it turned up pretty much how I wanted, looks and feels great, has a lovely texture while remaining fine enough, it's easy to wear and, as with most knits, I feel at my most natural while doing so.



8 comments:

  1. That's a really beautiful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your mum looking to adopt another child, per chance? :) Lucky girl. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! As for mum, she is a one woman machine with a production line :)My bit of luck in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'missing' top is lovely! Smashing ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with your clothes! Pretty blogg :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just noticed your blog, you wear it quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just discovered your blog, lovely! <3
    And what a gorgeous colour are you wearing here,
    looks good on you!

    xo Jessica

    ReplyDelete