Monday 14 January 2013

Buttons and buckles


1920 -1930 glass buttons and buckles

Past time wise, nothing beats a little button spotting. If you don't agree with this statement you are obviously in the wrong place :). But seriously, I really am that boring. Here are my little treasures:

 more vintage cuties: glass on the left, the rest are plastic

painted wood and mother of pearl

plastic all the way

glass babies

some early glass buttons, a beautiful Edwardian paste buckle and a celluloid example

my beloved celluloid buttons, these are very special tome


 and my current project; these are not really a set but I will paint the buttons to be more in keeping with the buckle - they will go on a 1930's knitted ensemble

9 comments:

  1. what is it about buttons that everyone finds so appealing?.....small and round, rather like babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Everyone" is an overstatement - none of my friends share this "weird" interest. When I start talking buttons and yarn people just switch off. Why?! God knows they are subjects close to my heart:)

      Delete
  2. What absolutely lovely buttons - I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had stopped buying buttons, but this post makes me want more! The bright green plastic ones in the second picture are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I seem to have an addiction that is difficult to break (not sure I'd want to break it either) - this and yarn are my top comfort buys. Needless to say, I was on particular low yesterday when I decided to get my little "collection" out and share it with the world. Having said that, I don't mindlessly buy buttons, but with the purpose of actually using them for projects. Since I can never find something when I look for it I end up buying stuff when I see it, so unavoidably end up with a little stash.

      Delete
  4. What a great collection. Thanks for sharing!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and what a joy to discover your blog too! I'm your newest follower :)

      Delete
  5. I agree 100% and am in complete awe of all of your marvelous vintage buttons. I'd love to have a collection even a fraction as nice of my own one day, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete